23 April 2012

Me and makeup


For as long as I can remember, I have loved makeup (and hair too)…putting it on myself and on my friends.  In fact, my girlfriends and I used to do makeovers on each other, then take pictures; sometimes at home and sometimes at Star Shots.  Wow, those were the days. Hee hee…

As life has it, just because we love something, doesn’t mean we’re always good at it, right?  I have taken classes in the past to educate myself (most major cosmetic lines offer free classes at Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, etc. and they are really good!) and have spent years practicing to perfect my makeup skills, but alas, still am a novice at makeup artistry.  My sister-in-law Sharlene is a professional makeup artist and I used to have a friend that was a MAC makeup artist, so I’ve gathered tips from them that have been helpful too, but none the less, I still yearn for more.  My passion has led me to look for a class.  I’ve been on the hunt for an academy that is certified, yet offers individual classes (I’m not interested in becoming certified and/or taking courses in theater, special effects, etc., but do want a legit class) where I can learn how to take better care of my skin (because after all, that is our canvas!), what colors really go with my skin tone, and master some makeup basics (smokey eye, contouring, etc.). 

On our way home the other night from BSF at around 9:45PM, I noticed this small store with their lights still on and people all around!  I looked closer and the sign said “April Love Pro Makeup Academy!”  I immediately googled as soon as I got home.  Turns out that they recently opened, are a fully certified academy, and offer personal makeup workshops, which is just what I have been looking for!  Browsed their website a little more and found out that were holding a free smokey eye class too!  The following morning I called, reserved 2 spaces and figured it would be a good way for me to see if I wanted to enroll in their makeup workshop. 

There’s more to the story but bottom line, Sonia and I attended the makeup class last week and it was spectacular!  April, the owner of the academy, was awesome.  She has an extensive background in makeup education and has been an artist for over 16 years.  She is super knowledgeable and gave us so many amazing tips!  Sonia and I left totally impressed and very interested in taking her personal makeup workshop.  I’ll keep you posted on if/when we actually go to the workshop (I have to ask the Mister J),but for now, wishing you a wonderful week ahead!
  Love eyelashes, mascara, not so much…BUT thought this quote was so funny! :P

  Sonia and I getting our education on!

  April, the educator, and the makeup model.

At the end of class…

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! This looks like SO much fun! LOL at the mascara line!

    ReplyDelete