05 April 2012

A post about a postage stamp, but so much more :)

I LOVE stamps…postage stamps and rubber stamps!  I’ll have to share my collection of rubber stamps another time, because today, I have to tell you about my recent quest for the Cherry Blossom Centennial stamps…and that deserves a post all on its own!

A few days ago, my good friend J blogged about the Centennial Celebration of the Gift of Trees (she’s an awesome blogger - visit her page and you’ll find hours of journalistic greatness!).  I decided to do some research because I felt uneducated and after all, this had to do with my heritage, both my Japanese side and my American side!  Turns out that in 1912, Japan gifted the US (sent to Washington DC) with 3,000 cherry blossom trees to honor  the friendship between the US and Japan.  Since then, annual celebrations have been held (with the exception of the late 30’s thru the mid 40’s during WWII) and have included parades, concerts, galas and cultural events. 

I have always loved cherry blossoms.  They are pink, delicate, beautiful, and from Japan, so what’s not to love?  I know I’m sounding a little ichiban-ish, but I’m not really…well maybe a little...heehee :P  So back to the cherry blossoms – I feel like they are just a symbolism of anew.  Although they are delicate, they are strong.  They have bloomed every season and have thrived in their new US home for already, 100 years.

When I decided to revive my blog, I wanted to give it a new look, something to say “I’m back” and for it to be refreshing.  As I said in my first post upon return, this is my round 2, I had turned 30, gotten married, and was starting a new season in life.  How ironic is that I chose cherry blossoms to be my background…or maybe not.

All this to say that the USPS released a Cherry Blossom Centennial (Forever) stamp.  It’s a panoramic stamp (love those!) and gorgeous.  I called 8 different post offices before I found one that had them in stock.  I asked them to be put on hold and excitedly drove to the neighboring town to pick the beauties up.  Aren’t they fabulous?!?! 


As we enter into this Easter weekend, these wondrous tress remind me of God’s resurrection, His constant love and mercy, and the renewal we have in Him. 

They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness! – Lamentations 3:23

Happy Good Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment